Skill Level ( ? )
100% dirt touring, don't miss out, book early
Welcome to our Simpson Desert motorcycle tour page
Our Simpson Desert motorcycle tour will ride all of the 1100 sand dunes and see incredible desert beauty on this tour.
We cater for the novice to experienced riders who just want to get across the Simpson Desert using our experience of this crossing while at the same time having a lot of fun.
This Simpson Desert motorcycle tour is definitely one of the number one motorcycle tours in the world and if you are a motorcycle rider it is a must to do this journey, once in your life time.
This tour is located in one of the most remote areas of the world, it offers you a challenge through sand country both physically, mentally and at the same time surrounded by the unique beauty of the desert and her elements.
Simpson Desert motorcycle tour description in brief
6 day tour departing from Birdsville and finishing in Alice Springs.
First day will see you fly from Brisbane to Birdsville, it is brilliant way to have a bird’s eye view from lush green east coast of Australia to the changing deep red sands of central Australia.
On your arrival we will sort out your luggage and anything else last minute before you disappear in the famous Birdsville Hotel for a drink.
You will be riding a motorcycle for 5 days and camping under the stars each night.
We have a riders briefing each morning so you know exactly what you are going doing for each day.
The tours general route on Google Map (approximate route only).
This route can change due to road or weather conditions.
So come on let’s have some fun!!
- Finke Desert race track
- Mt Dare Hotel
- Simpson Desert 1100 sand dunes to cross (officially! but who counts them anyway!)
- Swimming at Dalhousie Hot Springs (water temp 39 deg) this will take away your mussel ack’s form the desert crossing
- French Line
- QAA Line
- Poeppels Corner (South Aust, Queensland and northern Territory Border intersection)
- Birdsville Hotel
- Desert camping and brilliant stars to see
The Simpson Desert Consists of a sea of parallel red sand dunes covering an area of 170,000 sq km (as large as England and Wales). It lies across the corners of South Australia, Queensland and the Northern Territory.
Rainfall is low, on average 125 mm per year. Temperatures exceed 50 degrees in summer and can fall below zero centigrade in winter.
What the price includes in our Simpson Desert motorcycle tour:
- Brisbane to Birdsville flight
- Birdsville hotel accommodation (twin share)
- Motorcycle hire
- Desert parks pass
- Camping gear
- All Meals
- Support vehicle
What’s not included:
- Dinner at Birdsville hotel
- Alcohol, hotel coffees
- Riding instructions given each day.
- 1 nights hotel accommodation in Birdsville Hotel
- Camping in the million and one stars a night hotel
- Our tour support vehicle is an all purpose 6×6 specially built for motorcycle tour support
- “Rough As Guts Outback Restaurant in parts will cater for this tour”
Prior to departure
- We require indemnity forms to be signed before departure
- We require full payment 6 weeks prior from tour departure
Tag-along passengers or riders
- Tag along available for riders wanting to use their own bike
- We have an available place for a tag along passenger in the 6×6 or one of our 4×4 vehicles
- Look at our motorcycle page for more info on our fleet of tour motorbikes
What you need to bring
- Personal luggage bag size try to keep it small as you don’t need the kitchen sink
- Remeber you are flying on a small plane!
- Motorcycle riding gear eg: Helmet, Boots, Jacket, Gloves etc
- Sleeping bag, blow up pillow
- Warm jumper for nights, woollen head warmer (beanie)
- Casual clothing, foot wear (Joggers) swim ware, USB stick 50G, camera.
- Sun glasses, hat, sun screen, toiletries
- Spending money eg:alcohol, souvenir, pub meal, otional tours
- Small camel back able to carry small items must also have water bladder