Skill Level ( ? )
100% dirt touring, don't miss out, book early
Welcome to our Simpson Desert Finke motorcycle tour page
Simpson Desert Finke Motorcycle Race Tour including crossing the of Simpson Desert all of her 1100 sand dunes.
We cater for riders who want to ride across the Simpson Desert using our experience and also being a spectator at the famous Finke Desert race.
The Simpson Desert motorcycle tour is definitely one of the number one motorcycle journey’s in the world and combined with the action of the Finke Desert race it will be a once in your life time memory for sure.
This tour is located in one of the most remote areas of the world, it offers you a challenge through the desert both physically and mentally, at the same time surrounded by the unique beauty of the Simpson Desert and her elements.
Tour description in brief
12 day tour starts from Alice Springs and finishes in Brisbane.
This tour is about being a spectator at the Finke Desert Races and crossing the mighty Simpson Desert and visiting interesting places in between.
Meet the riders and drivers at Alice Springs on Friday nights scrutineering, prologue Saturday, watching the race start on Sunday at the start/finish line and on Monday watching the bikes and cars come home from the Finke to Alice on a track vantage point.
We are going to have a rental vehicle so we can travel from Alice Springs to the race track in comfort. We will also have time up sleeve so we can have a look around Alice Springs like checking out the National Road Transport Museum and Anzac Hill with panoramic views over Alice.
You do not have to turn up to Alice Springs on Friday but we will require you to be there for our first riders briefing on the Saturday afternoon.
We hold a riders briefing each evening so you know exactly what you are going to be doing for the next day.
If you are looking for 5 star accommodation and table service then this tour in not for you!
The tours general route on Google Map (approximate route only).
This route can change due to road or weather conditions.
So come on let’s have some fun, I will guarantee you will love it!
- Spectating at the famous Finke Desert race
- Camping on the Finke Desert track watching he action
- Alice Springs truck museum
- Mt Dare Hotel
- Swimming at Dalhousie Hot Springs (water temp 39 deg) you will be impressed
- Simpson Desert 1100 sand dunes to cross (officially but who counts them anyway!)
- French Line
- QAA Line
- Poeppels Corner (South Aust, Queensland and northern Territory Border intersection)
- Birdsville Hotel
- Desert camping and brilliant stars to see…
The Simpson Desert Consists of a sea of parallel red sand dunes covering an area of 170,000 sq km (as large as England and Wales). It lies across the corners of South Australia, Queensland and the Northern Territory.
Rainfall is low, on average 125 mm per year. Temperatures exceed 50 degrees in summer and can fall below zero centigrade in winter.
What includes Simpson Desert Finke Motorcycle Tour:
- Alice Springs and Birdsville hotel accommodation (twin share)
- Communal rental car in Alice Springs
- Motorcycle hire (Suzuki DRz 400)
- Desert parks pass
- Track entree fee
- Truck museum entree fee
- Camping gear
- Birdsville to Brisbane flight
- Support vehicle
What’s not included:
- Any meal in Alice Springs
- Any meal in Birdsville
- Alcohol, hotel coffees
- We provide all camping equipment (one tent and mattress per person) for the million and one stars a night hotel
- Hotel accommodation in Alice Springs and Birdsville
- Our tour support vehicle is an all purpose 6×6 specially built for motorcycle tour support
- It supports each long distance tour
- “Rough As Guts Outback Restaurant” will cater for this tour in parts
Prior to departure
- We require indemnity forms to be signed before departure
- We require full payment 6 weeks prior from tour departure
Tag-along passengers or riders
- Tag along available for riders wanting to use their own bike
- We have an available place for a tag along passengers in the 6×6 or one of our 4×4 vehicles
- Look at our motorcycle page for more info on our fleet of tour motorbikes
What you need to bring
- Personal luggage bag size try to keep it small as you don’t need the kitchen sink
- Remeber you are flying out on a smaller plane!
- Motorcycle riding gear eg: Helmet, Boots, Jacket, Gloves etc
- Sleeping bag, blow up pillow
- Fly nets are able to be purchased at Mt Dare Station
- Warm jumper for nights, woollen head warmer (beanie)
- Casual clothing, foot wear (Joggers) swim ware, USB stick, camera
- Sun glasses, hat, sun screen, toiletries
- Spending money eg:alcohol, souvenir
- Small camel back able to carry small items must also have water bladder